Friday, July 06, 2007

Inspiration from TED Talks

I was going to blog about this later, but I can't wait. I'm currently sitting at home nursing a horrible air-conditioning induced cold, but watching these 20 minute videos online, I'm absolutely mesmerised.

The TED conference (Technology. Entertainment. Design), held every year in Monterey California, gets together the real global innovators in so many areas, from experts in computing, consciousness, architecture, global poverty, future problems and solutions for humanity, ageing, slowness, happiness, and much, much more to talk about where we are today and where we will be in one, five, ten, fifty years down the line.

Many, many videos are online and almost every one I've seen so far has made me excited by the prospects in so many disciplines. A lot of it is speculation, but it's speculation from world experts who have already made a difference. It's inspiring and it's hugely exciting.

The first talk I watched is currently featured on the home page of SciTalks which I spoke about here, and I was immediately hooked.

I should be resting properly and although watching these videos isn't exactly stressful it is really motivating me to get up and get things done, anything, important things, to be a part of all this.

Below I've embedded some of the videos I've watched so far which have impressed me most but please if you find other videos which you are inspired by tell me.

Hans Rosling: New insights on poverty: No more boring data.


Neil Gershenfeld on Fablabs and personal empowerment for individual driven technological developments:


Aubrey De Grey on the future of longevity and the possibilities of living to 1000:


Burt Rutan on the future of space flight:


Blaise Aguera y Arcas on Photosynth and the future of imagery on the web:


Dan Dennet on dangerous Memes:


Jeff Hawkins on how brain science will change computing:


I don't know if you can view my profile but I will continue to update my favourites as I watch more which I think are worth a viewing here.

Although I've embedded these by linking to the Youtube videos you can watch them directly from the TED site (link above).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.