Monday, March 27, 2006

26 hours without caffeine. I put this achievement on par with the old water/wine trick. I can't concentrate on any one thing for a minute, my eyes are propped open with chopsticks and the coffee sitting opposite me has sprouted legs and is doing the can-can. It's for precisely this reason that I'm attempting to detox, I'm clearly dependent. In fact, most academics I know thrive on a diet of caffeine and glucose in some warped admixture. Two of the top physicists I've seen talk have also been, as far as I could tell, sky-high on coffee. They are both excellent, enthusiastic speakers who research fascinating areas of string theory and extra-dimensional physics, but together if utilised in the right way could almost certainly solve any possible future global energy shortages. They simply can't stop moving.

I'm currently reading a strange range of papers, firstly to learn some new areas of particle physics and secondly to see if my previous work can be extended in any interesting directions. In just a few days my parents will be here and I'll take a long overdue break but there are some problems I want to try and work on before then.

Anyway, this is going to be a very short post as you could have predicted from my current state. Must find something else to do for five minutes....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hob-nob! I'm now bang up to date on the blog. Enjoy the upcoming break afforded by your folks visiting. This one's a big week for me. More news to follow...

Unknown said...

Certainly looking forward to the break with the parents. Should be a great chance to get out of the city.

Also looking forward to hearing news from you. Keep me posted.

All the best,

J